Add to Cart
About the author:
Mandy Concepcion has worked in the automotive field for over 21 years. He holds a Degree in Applied Electronics Engineering as well as an ASE Master & L1 certification.
For the past 16 years he has been exclusively involved in the diagnosis of all the different electronic systems found in today's vehicles. It is here where he draws extensive practical knowledge from his experience and hopes to convey it in his books. Mandy also designs and builds automotive diagnostic electronic equipment, auto technology DVD-Videos and automotive repair software.
Automotive Ignition Systems Explained - GM
General Motors Ignition Systems
AUTOMOTIVE IGNITION SYSTEMS EXPLAINED - GM
(General Motors Ignition Systems)
By MANDY CONCEPCION
This book, concentrates on testing procedures and techniques dealing specifically with General Motors family of vehicles (Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Old, Cadillac, GMC). The book provides specific operational characteristics or how the system works, as well as how to test them. Special care is given to present the procedures without the use of expensive equipment and tools. Often times with just a test light and multi-meter. Here we cover most of GM's previous and current ignition systems.
The first section presents the principles and inner workings of modern diagnostic systems from a generalized perspective for those of you not familiar with the subject. Careful attention is given to expose all major systems from distributor based to COP or distributorless ignition. The other subsequent sections concentrate on GM specific procedures.
This book is a great companion for those of you wanting to learn more about the subject of automotive ignition systems, for both professional and DIY technicians, auto-tech students and instructors wanting to use material for in-class training. It is also a deal reference work for on-the-job ignition testing. All sections have been updated to reflect modern state of technology, since all out books are periodically updated as technology changes. With that in mind, enjoy your readings.
Table of Contents
* - Basics of Modern Automotive Ignition Systems (Basic facts and information on ignition systems.)
* - The Mechanical Ignition System (Explains the basics of a mechanical ignition systems, the coil high voltage generation, the job of the Platinum points, as well as ignition coil induction process.)
* - The ignition switch (The Distributor, Ignition Coil, Ignition Timing, Ignition Wires, Spark Plugs (Covers basic and advanced concepts on these components.)
* - The Electronic Ignition System (Covering pick-up coils, speed sensors, relluctor tone rings, switching of the ignition coil and voltage level developed in newer systems.)
* - The Distributorless Ignition system (distributorless ignition and how to follow its circuit, operation and testing.)
* - GM H.E.I. (Even though it's an older system, there're plenty of these systems around and make for a primer on electronic ignition.)
* - General Motors Ignition Cassette System (Learn to test these systems in detail.)
* - GM Compression Sense Ignition (CSI enables the Powertrain Control Module to determine proper engine phasing (cam position) without the use of a separate camshaft position sensor.)
* - Testing GM Ignition Control System on 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L (diagnose and test a BAD Ignition Control Module and Ignition Coil for the 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L engine family.)
* - Testing the Ignition Control System on a QUAD-4 (GM 2.4L) (With this test, you'll be able to pinpoint the problem to the Ignition Control Module (ICM) or the Crankshaft Position Sensor (7X CKP Sensor).)
* - Testing Ignition Control System on a GM 3.1L, 3.4L (This section will help you test the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and 3X, 7X Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor on all of the GM 3.1L and 3.4L overhead valve engines.)
* - Testing GM COP Ignition Systems on GM 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 8.1L (Every step is explained in plain English and with photos to guide you every step of the way. Also, all tests are ON CAR tests and done without a Scan Tool.)
- Publication Date:
- 1466385928 / 9781466385924
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 8.5" x 11"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Transportation / Automotive / Repair & Maintenance