Add to Cart
About the author:
Dr. Stewart Bitkoff is an avid student of Sufi Mysticism and the perennial philosophy. Professionally, specializing in the healing applications of therapeutic recreation, psychiatric rehabilitation and mental health treatment; he holds a doctorate in education and served on the faculties of six colleges and universities. Sufism for the Western Seeker is his most recent book, and chronicles learning in 2 modern western Sufi schools.
A frequent contributor to "Sufism: An Inquiry" and "Sacred Journey Magazine"; also a day/monthly writer for multiple online venues: Philadelphia Spirituality Examiner, Wisdom Magazine, New Age Journal, Ezinearticles.com, Witchvox.com, Mystic Living Today, and 2 spiritual blogs (caravanofdreams.com and mysticsaint.info). He teaches at Shooting for the Moon Spiritual Development Center, Snydersville, PA and can be reached at:
Sufism for Western Seekers
Path of the Spiritual Traveler in Everyday Life
For many western spiritual seekers, Sufism is often misunderstood and viewed as an Islamic mystical tradition presented through various Sufi orders. Yet this ancient path of spiritual knowing is much broader and older, available through all religions and independent of Islam and these orders. Aldous Huxley and others have referred to this ancient mystical path as the primordial tradition or perennial philosophy. This teaching can be characterized as a generic mysticism or spirituality, available to everyone, all of the time. Once awakened, this spiritual knowing comes forward through one’s own inner awareness or “heart.”
This book is a first hand account of spiritual knowing in two modern Sufi mystical schools. This message is intended for western spiritual travelers; this learning was not attached to Islam or presented through any of the present orders and was designed to appeal to everyone, regardless of their religious background. Additionally, this work examines spiritual knowing across a lifetime, incorporating experiences of both schools, along with traditional Sufi quotes. We offer examples of how such learning can enrich and help us with the daily problems of modern life.
Praise for Sufism for Western Seekers
Winner of 2011 Honorable Mention in Religion by ForeWord Reviews Book of the Year Awards! https://botya.forewordreviews.com/winners/2011/religion/
- Written for the beginner as well as the intermediate traveler, Sufism for Western Seekers helps equip its reader with the necessary psycho-spiritual exercises and tools required to awaken dormant human faculties. The book also acts as map and guide helping to transition the contemporary traveler from the realm of seeking, into the realm of perception and finding.
- Adeel Merali, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Stewart's book reminds us: yes, this life is about Self and the experiencing of the greatest version of the greatest vision of yourself. One of the keys to the mystery is to expand your definition of self: starting with parents, siblings, family, friends evolving to all of your school, religious congregation, community, country, and world - all of life.
- JB, Nayarit, Mexico
- I continue to be impressed with Stewart’s ability to clarify the Spiritual Traveler’s angst. This book is a must read for all. In a time when people get caught up in the semantics of words, Stewart eliminates the obstacles of Labeling and reminds us that we all come from the One, regardless of the paths we choose to follow. We will be recommending it for all beginning students at Shooting for the Moon Spiritual Development Center.
- Kathy Agate Brown, Owner, Shooting for the Moon Spiritual Development Center, Snydersville, PA
- Dr. Bitkoff exhibits a deep understanding of the spiritual sojourn and the clarity of his writing is exceptional in the way it brings the spiritual into our daily experience. This is wisdom. The book will prove valuable to any traveler seeking a path whether Sufi, Christian, Qabalistic or any of the plethoras of different roadways.
- Rev. Charles T. Weatherford, OM, Saylorsburg, PA
- Publication Date:
- Nov 14 2011
- 0615562809 / 9780615562803
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 5.5" x 8.5"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Religion / Islam / Sufi