Add to Cart
About the author:
Rich Diesslin is a fulltime, freelance cartoonist and author doing what cartoonists do - mixing humor, topics of interest and silly drawings to create cartoons. He mostly do single-panel (normal and/or comic strip sized) cartoons on a variety of topics, all family-friendly.
He has three primary areas of cartooning - 1) Christian (Cartoon Gospel and Religious Light series), 2) General (Out to Lunch series) and 3) Scouting cartoons (KNOTS or Not series). However, Rich also keep busy on freelance projects for the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Leadership Journal, Marian Heath Greeting Cards, various book publishers and others.
His web site is www.the-cartoonist.com and some current books that he has out include KNOTS Cartoons, A Journey Through Christian Theology and the Cartoon Gospel series. Some other background things include a B.S. in Industrial Management from Purdue University and an M.A. in Theological Studies from the University of Dayton and he is a card carrying member of the National Cartoonists Society.
Books, ebooks, and cartoon collections:
* The Cartoon Old Testament, DiesslinPress:Dayton, 164 page full-color paperback, kindle book and ebook, June 2011. Also a black-and-white paperback version was released in December of 2011.
* iPhone App - The Mobile Gospel
* Kindle editions of the Cartoon Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, 10 Commandments)
* KNOTS Cartoons, Celebrating the Fun in Scouting, DiesslinPress:Dayton, 80p full-color paperback, May, 2010 (book, ebook)
* Second Edition of the best selling text book A Journey Through Christian Theology Fortress Press, May, 2010
* Joseph: A Tale of Two Traditions, February 2007.
* KNOTS or Not Scouting Cartoon Collection Volumes I and II with 2009-10 supplement, March 2010.
* The Cartoon Gospel of John, ACTA:Chicago, September 2004.
* The Cartoon Gospels, October 2002.
* The Cartoon Gospel of Mark, September 2002.
* The Cartoon Gospel of Matthew, October 2001.
* The Cartoon Gospel (of Luke), Liturgical Publications, Inc., 1990, and Color Cartoons CD, 2000.
* The Cartoon Ten Commandments, available on fine websites everywhere.
Out to Lunch
Cartoons with an Appetite for the Ridiculous
Richard L Diesslin
Richard L Diesslin
This book, Out to Lunch - Cartoons with an Appetite for the Ridiculous by Rich Diesslin contains over 170 of his favorite Out to Lunch cartoons.
The idiom "Out to Lunch" (OTL) means crazy or out of touch with the reality, so that seemed a fitting strip name for Rich's single-panel general comic. OTL cartoons have been around for more than a decade in various forms and various media including newspapers, magazines, on the internet at the-cartoonist.com and on merchandise. If you haven't heard of them before, that's not surprising since the plethora of media outlets still only reach a limited audience. Hopefully you'll see them more and more in the future and you can find them weekly at the-cartoonist.com.
Polly Keener, cartoonist and creator of the Hamster Alley cartoon strip sums it up this way: "Rich displays a quirky Gary Larson-esque sense of humor in lots of fun, often animal-centered, cartoons. But, of course, there are funny people, humorous holidays and all manner of other toons, too. In Out to Lunch, he makes the viewer think a bit. Sometimes, his humor can be very subtle, but keep looking until you have that satisfying "Aha!" moment. He manages to pack a lot into his drawings and keep the wording to a minimum - a real achievement. Many cartoonists consider a "sight gag," where all or most of the humor is purely visual, the most accomplished type of cartoon humor of all. Out to Lunch offers a whole smorgasbord of cartoons and all neatly classified in the Table of Contents (rare in cartoon books) so you can find your favorite topics fast."
Rich is also the cartoonist of two other comic panels - a scout cartoon called Knots or Not and a biblical cartoon called the Cartoon Gospels.
- Publication Date:
- 0984887210 / 9780984887217
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 6" x 9"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Comics & Graphic Novels / General