Add to Cart
About the author:
Michael Mayer is a reluctant metaphysician and storyteller who uses ancient sacred wisdom traditions to help people find a healing pathway through troubled times. Michael, "Deer Kissing Eyes," (following the medicine animal name that came to him through his forty night vision quest), helps individuals and groups to open to their inner vision and transform their lives thereby. As a Tai Chi and Qigong teacher, Michael uses traditions of postural initiation to facilitate a person's discovering self-healing abilities and to discover new life stances. As an astromythologist
(who doesn't believe in predictive astrology),
he won the astrology prize from the Astrological Association of Great Britain for the most valuable contribution to astrology in 1979.
Dr. Michael Mayer is a psychologist in private practice, author of twenty publications, including five books and various peer-reviewed articles on bodymind healing. He teaches workshops on his integrative approach at professional conferences,
universities, hospitals, and various workshop locations. He co-founded the Transpersonal Psychology Department at John F. Kennedy University where he trained therapists for
twelve years; and he co-founded an integrative medical clinic where he specializes in giving his patients self-healing methods for physical and mental health problems. Dr. Mayer is a
Fellow of the American Association of Integrative Medicine.
Michael is inspired by special places in nature where he plays his flute, practices Tai Chi and Qigong, and develops rites of renewal for his community.
The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician
Are you a Reluctant Metaphysician? A career change, an upsetting external event, a serious illness, a painful breakup, or an unravelling culture can all be invitations to enter a deeper world behind the world. You may not have chosen to go there, but you evolve thereby. This book weaves together stories and reflections to introduce teachings and practices from ancient wisdom traditions that illuminate our unique life path.
The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician speaks to the importance of having a holistic spiritual philosophy in our current times of the "great unraveling" of our personal, political, economic, cultural, and ecological world. Here you will find an integral approach to finding your life stance in troubled times. The metaphysical path is an "all vector approach" that incorporates both "spiritual" and "soulful" pathways, traditions of postural initiation such as Tai Chi, mythology, depth psychology, bodymind healing methods, a non-deterministic approach to astrology, and a multi-dimensional approach to the political sphere.
* The Metaphysics of Myths: A metaphysician specializing in the art of symbolic process extracts primordial wisdom from mythic tales to help you navigate distressing times.
* Age-old Energetic Metaphysical Traditions: A Tai Chi/Qigong teacher initiates you into age-old practices for keeping your sense of equanimity so that these upheavals don't uproot you.
* The Metaphysics of Bodymind Healing and Psychotherapy: A leading-edge psychologist shares with you self-healing methods to deal with times of crisis and to find your life stance.
* Astrological Metaphysics: Are you wondering about the profound changes that are going on in the world? Does it ever seem like some unseen hand has turned a gear in a mysterious cosmic clock? Here you'll hear a prize-winning astrologer (who doesn't believe in predictive astrology) tell you about planetary configurations that are synchronistic with these changes.
* Political Metaphysics: You'll discover how connecting to the world behind the world can help us cope with, and develop political actions for, the troubled times in which we live.
Dr. Mayer transmits stories, teachings, and practices from his multifaceted career that are so captivating, they may lead you to reluctantly take time out of your busy everyday life. Be forewarned... if you read this book you too may become a Reluctant Metaphysician!
What are Others saying about the book... Reluctant Metaphysician:
Dr. Michael Mayer has helped numerous people through his knowledge of psychotherapeutic principles, internal martial arts practices, and life style enhancement.
Readers of this book will find Dr. Mayer's personal story an engrossing one, and may be motivated to recast their own beliefs and behaviors, even reluctantly, into a metaphysical mode.
Stanley Krippner, Ph.D.
Alan Watts Professor of Psychology, Saybrook University
Co-author, Personal Mythology
In the 1970s Dr. Michael Mayer began his study of Tai Chi Chuan and Qigong with me. With continuous diligence, devotion, and skill he grows and ages with me as faithful student and friend. It delights my eyes and warms my heart to witness the masterful way Dr. Mayer creates a joining of hands between Eastern and Western spiritual traditions in this book.
Fong Ha, internationally recognized grandmaster
of Tai Chi Chuan and Yi Chuan Qigong
Behind the veil of our everyday experiences there is another reality that beckons our attention. Michael Mayer's revelations in this domain are a guide for anyone who desires a richer and more fulfilling experience of life. If you think life must contain more juice than you have known so far, this book is for you.
~ Larry Dossey, MD
Author: Healing Words
- Publication Date:
- 0983966508 / 9780983966500
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 7" x 9.25"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Body, Mind & Spirit / General