Add to Cart
About the author:
Benny Ho received his BA in Architecture (Highest Honors) from UC Berkeley and his Master in Architecture from Harvard University. After working in architecture in the U.S., Europe, and China, he subsequently became a management consultant at McKinsey & Company and later the Hong Kong Managing Director of a global internet incubator.
The Accidental Career
Interviews with people who fell into careers they love rather than walked into careers they planned
How do people find fulfilling careers? How did they get there? Why did they choose those paths? How much of it was planned? How much of it was accidental?
With these questions in mind, this book started as a simple, crowdfunded project:
4 months. 70 interviews. 1 book to shed light into how people "fell" into careers they love rather than walked into careers they planned.
The result is a select collection of full-length interviews with individuals who discovered their careers through an unplanned morphological process rather than in a singular trajectory with foreseeable steps and landings. The inspiration for this book comes from personal experience (architectural designer, McKinsey consultant, internet entrepreneur, and now writer), as well as countless stories of individuals who labored in uninspiring jobs yet never had the courage or opportunity to break the mold. In such, the objective of this book is to highlight how regular people have found linkages in disparate life experiences and have connected the dots into fulfilling careers.
- Consultant > turned > World Adventurer and 4-time World Record Holder
- Rocket Scientist > turned > Country Managing Director of JP Morgan
- Professional Motorcycle Racer > turned > Lawyer
- Advertising Professional > turned > Food Truck Owner
- Banker > turned > Condom Tailor
- Paper Salesman > turned > Sports Marketing Pioneer
- Comedian > turned > Gold Expert and Financial Columnist
- ... and more!
- Publication Date:
- Jan 08 2013
- 9881212413 / 9789881212412
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 5.25" x 8"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Business & Economics / Careers / General