Add to Cart
About the author:
Noah Kempler is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a published author and a respected parent educator. Noah's writing draws on over 20 years of counseling experience and his parenting principles have helped countless families develop the skills to get along better.
Noah's methods for creating change come from a unique blend of developmental, attachment-based, emotionally-focused and behavioral models of therapy. Noah has spent the past decade developing a consistently effective set of principles to help parents create lasting behavioral change and positive family relationships. His ideas have been published in several professional journals including The Journal of Developmental Processes and are now available in one volume titled Better Behavior: Helping Kids Create Change and Improve Relationships.
Noah has a successful child and family psychotherapy practice and also runs social skills groups for young children. He conducts staff trainings and parent presentations at schools on a variety of developmental and behavioral topics. Noah's blog, The Better Behavior Blog, features articles and resources for helping parents guide their children to improved behavior and better relationships. Noah is married with three children and lives in Marin County California.
Better Behavior: Helping Kids Create Change and Improve Relationships
Noah Kempler MFT
"This book provides a practical, doable, and-most importantly-effective approach for helping struggling kids do better."
-Dr. Christine Carter, Author of Raising Happiness and The Sweet Spot
Parenting is a wonderful and challenging job, and managing negative behavior is one of the most difficult parts. Many parents find themselves running out of ideas when it comes to helping their kids develop maturity and self-control, and this is where Better Behavior becomes invaluable.
This book is not just about behavior, though, it's also about strengthening relationships. With equal focus on behavioral guidance and emotional attunement, Better Behavior holds the unique position of blending aspects of positive parenting with behavior modification techniques to help parents hold authority while also creating emotional connection. This balanced approach is the recipe for creating lasting behavioral change. It also promotes mutual respect and a desire for cooperation between parents and kids, which prevents many negative behaviors from occurring in the first place.
Written by Noah Kempler, a successful child and family psychotherapist, published author, and parent educator, Better Behavior provides a complete set of strategies and advice to help both parents and kids develop the skills needed to get along well. Key concepts include:
* Helping kids develop the 5 core skills that create emotional and behavioral maturity: Understanding Feelings, Communication, Flexibility, Respect, and Problem-Solving.
* Helping parents practice (and balance) the two arms of parenting: Empathy and Authority.
* Using Empathy to create connected, cooperative and strong family relationships.
* Balancing Empathy with clear, effective and consistent Authority to help eliminate negative behavior.
* Understanding how critical factors such as: temperament (both parent and child), parenting skills, couple-care and self-care impact family life.
* Illuminating behind-the-scenes family dynamics such as: structure, communication, boundaries, and family roles that together contribute to both parents' and kids' behavior patterns.
* Helping boost self-esteem, self-confidence and resilience for kids.
The principles in this book have proven effective in helping children with a wide range of issues, including: oppositional defiant disorder, ADHD, anxiety, social skills, low empathy, impulsivity, negative mood/attitude, sibling conflict, low self-esteem, and more. Presented in an engaging and easy to use format, Better Behavior comes complete with real-life examples and practical tips for creating harmonious family and social relationships. All types of families, with kids of all ages, have benefited from these ideas- and you can too. Get started making family life better now.
- Publication Date:
- 0990745503 / 9780990745501
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 6" x 9"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Family & Relationships / Parenting / General