Add to Cart
About the author:
John D. MacArthur writes about practical neuroscience. He researched and wrote "The Human Brain" section for the Franklin Institute Science Museum.
Before focusing on pregnancy complications that can impair neurodevelopment, I was writing about neurodegeneration, most recently a report on copper and Alzheimer's disease co-written with George J. Brewer, MD, and published by the Townsend Letter: The Examiner of Alternative Medicine.
Then I learned that premature birth is the leading predictor of long-term neurological disabilities in children. Clinical studies in India had already shown that fluoride is a risk factor for premature birth. This was confirmed by a New York State public-health study that found water fluoridation was independently associated with an increased risk of premature birth.
Rates of premature birth are unusually high in the US, so my first project was a comprehensive review of the laboratory, clinical, and ecological evidence for the connection between maternal fluoride consumption and premature birth.
My next two reports published by the Townsend Letter presented new research and diverse evidence, including original hypotheses and insights into how prenatal fluoride may cause placental dysfunction in preeclampsia and neurological impairment in autism (both of which are associated with premature birth).
I sincerely hope the information offered in this volume will enable more children to enter the world with a vibrant and fully functioning brain.
Pregnancy and Fluoride Do Not Mix
Placental Fluorosis, Preeclampsia, Premature Birth, Impaired Neurological Development
John Douglas MacArthur Jr.
This volume includes three in-depth and well-documented reports on fluoride and pregnancy that were published by the Townsend Letter.
Based on statements by advisory and regulatory agencies in the United States, fluoride should not be consumed during pregnancy.
* Institute of Medicine (1997)
* National Research Council (2006)
* National Scientific Council Developing Child (2006)
* Neurotoxicology Division, EPA (2009, 2015)
* National Toxicology Program (2016)
1) FLUORIDE, PRETERM BIRTH AND IMPAIRED NEURODEVELOPMENT
A global review of recent laboratory, clinical, and ecological evidence that fluoride is a significant risk factor for premature birth and long-term neurological disabilities in children.
* US Preterm Birth Rate Unusually High
* Residence in the US a Risk Factor for Preterm Birth
* Best-Available Science Will Reduce Preterm Birth by Only 5%
* Fluoride: Ancient Enemy of Biological Systems
* Molecular Mechanisms of Fluoride Toxicity
* Fluoride Inhibits the Enzyme Enolase
* Fluoride, Anemia, & Preterm Birth: A.K. Susheela's Research
* Prenatal Fluoride Linked to Low Birthweight
* Low Birthweight, Cognitive Problems, Autism, and Obesity
* Iron-Deficiency Anemia
* Microflora in the GI Tract
* Thyroid Disorders and Preterm Birth
* Prematurity and Infant Mortality
* Water Fluoridation and Preterm Birth Rates
* HPA Axis: Link Between Preterm Birth & Brain Disorders
* Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
* Prenatal Fluoride and Hyperactivity
* Fluoride, Defective Tooth Enamel, and Prematurity
* Genetic Factor
* Fluoride Contaminates US Processed Food & Beverage Chain
* Cognitive Scores and Gestational Age
2) PLACENTAL FLUOROSIS: FLUORIDE AND PREECLAMPSIA
New research and diverse evidence implicate fluoride and fluorosis in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia, the dangerous pregnancy complication caused by the abnormal placenta.
* ER Stress - Link Between Fluorosis and Preeclampsia
* Fluoride Causes ER Stress in Fluorosis
* ER Stress in Preeclampsia
* Fluoride and Hypertension
* Fluoride, Oxidative Stress, and Placental Melatonin
* Acetaminophen and Fluoride - Synergistic Damage
* Angiogenic Factors and Fluoride
* Inflammation: Periodontal Disease, Preeclampsia, and Fluorosis
* Fluoridated Water, Dental Fluorosis, and Preeclampsia
* Fluoridated Water, Hypothyroidism, and Preeclampsia
* FDA: Fluoride and Pregnancy
* Research Needed
* Preventing Preeclampsia
3) PRENATAL FLUORIDE AND AUTISM
Fluoride swallowed in amniotic fluid may disrupt colonization and composition of bacteria in the fetal GI tract adversely affecting neurological and immunological development.
* Fluoride Weakens Bacterial Adhesion Forces
* Adhesion Forces and Bacterial Colonization of the GI Tract
* Fluoridated Amniotic Fluid
* Gut Bacteria and Autism
* Gut Bacteria, Immune System, Autism, and Fluoride
* Adhesion Molecules, Autism, and Fluoride
* Fluoride Adversely Affects Synaptic Development
* Fluoride is a "Developmental Neurotoxicant"
* Fetal Fluoride Levels Depend on the Mother's Fluoride Intake
* Fetuses Exceed Tolerable Upper Intake Level of Fluoride
* Developmental Defects Increase with Fluoride Levels in Water
* Genetic Susceptibility to Fluoride's Adverse Effects
* SSRIs and Autism
* Preeclampsia, Autism, and Fluoride
* Fluoride, Premature Birth, and Autism
* Hypothyroidism, Autism, ADHD, and Fluoridated Water
* More Fluoride Absorbed from Artificially Fluoridated Water
* Fluoride, Copper, and Autism
* Prenatal Fluoride: All Risk and No Benefit
* Lack of Fluoride-Pregnancy Research
* The Elephant in the Womb
* Infancy and Fluoride Do Not Mix
* Fluoride and Life Decay
- Publication Date:
- 1512230227 / 9781512230222
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 5.25" x 8"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Health & Fitness / Pregnancy & Childbirth