United States Championship
A Close Look at Mid-Atlantic Wrestling's Greatest Championship
This is the long awaited follow-up to "Ten Pounds of Gold" and "Big Gold."
Like those books, this book is FULL COLOR and features beautiful photography of
the belts, both original and replica.
Mike Mooneyham of the Charleston Post and Courier writes "Bourne strikes gold
with new book on U.S. wrestling title."
In 1975, Jim Crockett, Jr. and George Scott created the United States
Heavyweight Championship for the Mid-Atlantic Wrestling territory. For the next
13 years, 21 of the the greatest names in professional wrestling, including 13
future WWE Hall-of-Famers, proudly wore one of five different title belts that
represented that championship.
The list of names that held this title reads like a Who's Who: Harley Race,
Johnny Valentine, Terry Funk, Paul Jones, Blackjack Mulligan, Bobo Brazil, Ric
Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Wahoo McDaniel, Magnum T.A., Tully Blanchard, Lex Luger,
Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham and many others.
Jim Crockett Promotions’ United States Championship explores these five
classic title belts, and tells all the stories of the angles, feuds, and
controversies throughout the title’s history. There were other regional U.S.
championships during the territory era, but this was the biggest and the most
widely recognized of them all, and it served as the historical foundation for
the United States Championship recognized by the WWE today.
The book includes:
- An exhaustive title history of the championship from its inception in 1975
until the sale of Jim Crockett Promotions to Ted Turner in 1988. All the angles,
storylines, feuds, and big matches.
- A detailed look at the design of all five Crockett U.S. championship belts
and how they were made, with expert input from belt-maker "Ace of Belts" Dave
- Historical photographs of all the champions wearing all of the different
versions of the belts they held.
- Brackets and results for all five U.S. title tournaments during the
Crockett years. - A look at where the title belts are today.
- A brief look at other U.S. championships in other territories during the
NWA territorial years.
- A brief look at later U.S. championships that traced their title history to
the Crockett U.S. title.
- Trivia and statistics.
- Heritage and legacy.
- Over 100 photographs of both the champions and the belts, most in full
"Dick Bourne is the Indiana Jones of title belt archeology." - Mike Johnson,
- Publication Date:
- 1517463386 / 9781517463380
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 6" x 9"
- Full Color with Bleed
- Related Categories:
- Sports & Recreation / Wrestling