Add to Cart
About the author:
Andres Pelenur has been meditating and studying yogic scriptures for over twenty years. He is the founder of the Mahasara School of Meditation and a disciple of the great saint Bhagawan Nityananda of Ganeshpuri (1897-1961), having been initiated directly by Bhagawan in what is termed sankalpa diksha (initiation through the will of a Guru). Andres received mantra diksha (initiation into mantra) from Gurumayi Chidvilasananda and received training in multiple yogic disciplines at her ashram in South Fallsburg, New York. He has traveled extensively throughout India, meditating in numerous ashrams including Bhagawan's ashram in Kanhangad, Kerala, and in Ganeshpuri, Maharashtra. Andres holds a BA in English from McGill University and a JD from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law.
The Essence of Meditation
Advanced Practices for New and Experienced Meditators
Do you feel that your meditation practice is not yielding any significant results? Has the practice of watching thoughts or the breath left you bobbing at the surface of the mind? Have you been told to silence the questioning mind or shun all spiritual experience because the person having them is to be viewed as unreal, leaving you with nowhere to turn? Or have you been told to simply see everything as Consciousness, without experiencing any lasting inner change?
In The Essence of Meditation, Andres Pelenur addresses these common problems with the wisdom and clarity borne of over twenty years of scriptural study and deep meditative practice. Andres guides the reader through a careful examination of the subtleties of yoga that reaches far beyond the basics. He shares a simple and highly effective approach to meditation that draws generously from both Tantric and Vedantic traditions, unifying their strengths to enable both new and experienced meditators to develop an authentic and lasting awareness of the inner Self.
In The Essence of Meditation, you will learn:
- How to set up an effective meditation space;
- How to establish proper posture, alignment, and breath;
- How to work with your thoughts in a positive and non-combative way;
- How to manage physical pains and discomforts while you are meditating;
- The differences between concentrative and so-called effortless approaches to meditation;
- The secrets behind the use of a mantra;
- How to meditate without a mantra;
- How to employ powerful dharanas (short contemplations) at the start of your meditation session that allow the mind to become profoundly still;
- The secret behind the power of attention;
- How to determine what the proper target of meditation should be;
- The right “view” (philosophical outlook) that will allow your meditation to significantly deepen;
- The right bhava (feeling) that will allow your meditation to become heartfelt and expansive;
- Key Tantric concepts, including how to work with the flow of Shakti (spiritual energy) that is drawn into the body as a result of deep meditation;
- Why you should not worry about awakening your Kundalini (coiled one) energy;
- How to understand kriyas (spontaneous actions) and their significance;
- How to deal with visions, intense feelings, and other phenomena that can arise during meditation;
- An overview of the five key phases that unfold during a lifetime of meditation;
- How to overcome perceived “dry spells” and the feeling of lack of progress;
- How to integrate your formal meditation session with your daily life;
- How to avoid common hindrances that can adversely affect your meditation practice and more.
Regardless of whether you identify as religious, agnostic, spiritual, or atheist, the immediate benefits of learning how to quiet the mind cut across all philosophical outlooks. The nectars of bliss, peace, and expanded awareness that meditation yields are not a matter of wishful thinking. You can experience them for yourself as soon as you learn how to meditate.
Don't miss reading this groundbreaking book.
- Publication Date:
- 0994057113 / 9780994057112
- Page Count:
- Binding Type:
- US Trade Paper
- Trim Size:
- 5.5" x 8.5"
- Black and White
- Related Categories:
- Body, Mind & Spirit / Mindfulness & Meditation