Amazon Instant Video features
- Amazon Instant Video for titles rental or purchase can be found at www.amazon.com/instantvideo.
- Start streaming a movie on any device, pause, then resume watching straight from the same scene on another with Amazon Whispersync. Whispersync remembers your last scene watched across all your apps and devices, so you can avoid the frustration of having to find your spot.
- Purchased and rented titles are stored in the cloud in Your Video Library, so you can access them anywhere you go, in any Amazon Instant Video app.
- The Amazon Instant Video store offers instant streaming online, on Kindle Fire HD, as well iPad, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Roku, and hundreds of TVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray players.
- Thousands of movies and TV shows are available in HD for devices that support HD streaming such as Kindle Fire HD, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Roku, Wii U and certain smart TVs and Blu-ray players.
Get Your Film on Amazon Instant Video
Make your film available for digital purchase or rental with Amazon Instant Video. Customers can choose to stream or download movies and TV shows they rent or purchase, while you earn royalties from each sale or rental stream.
Amazon Instant Video Artwork
If you plan to distribute your film through Amazon Instant Video, you'll need
to provide us with artwork. Upload the cover image you want to appear
in the Amazon Instant Video™ listing through your account.
- May not look like a product shot of a physical DVD
- Cannot include a DVD logo
- Must be sized as a 1200 x 1600-pixel JPEG
Find answers to Amazon Instant Video questions
Visit the the Amazon Instant Video help pages to get answers to all your questions.
What you get paid
You earn a royalty every time customers buy or rent your title. You receive 50% of the purchase or rental price of your title.
For example, if your title is purchased at $14.99, you earn a royalty of $7.49. If your title is rented at $3.99, you earn a royalty of $1.99. (Learn more about video download purchasing and renting options.)
You may suggest a list price for downloads that customers buy (not rent). However, Amazon.com determines the price for both rental and purchased titles. Royalties are based on the price Amazon sets.
Sales reports are updated monthly, and your payment occurs 60 days after the end of the month in which sales were made.
What you pay
Nothing! Video downloads are free to set up and distribute.
Set-up timing and removal
After your title is set up and we receive your source copy, please allow some time for your Video Download to appear on Amazon Instant Video™. Get more information on Amazon Instant Video timing.
If you would like to remove your title from further distribution on Amazon Instant Video™, please let us know. Your title may take up to 30 days from the date we receive your email notification to be removed from further distribution.
Please note that some titles may continue to be displayed after you have requested removal. Additional time may be needed to complete the rental period for customers.
See our Member Agreement for further information.
Mailing us your film or video on a DVD
The quickest and easiest way to send us your film or video content is on an authored DVD.
- Content must adhere to our Content Guidelines and Member Agreement.
- You must obtain all applicable copyright licenses to artwork used in your DVD. See our Copyright Guidelines for more information.
- You are responsible for reviewing the Closed Caption Submission Requirements, determining whether captions are required for your content, notifying CreateSpace that captions are required and providing those captions.
- Write the six-digit title ID directly on the disc face and case using a permanent marker.
- We require your source copy to be authored with a single Video Title Set (VTS) and that you place the main feature in one VTS under VTS_01. Discs authored with multiple VTS files cannot be accepted at this time.
- Content must have a minimum run time of 6 minutes.
- Your source copy must contain only AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders in the root directory of the disc.
- We do not support inclusion of data or executable files on DVD.
- In order to maximize playback compatibility, we recommend a maximum total bit rate for the combined video and audio tracks of 6.5 Mbp/s (megabits per second).
- We recommend using Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio; however PCM and DTS audio are also supported.
- We accept discs up to 4.6 GB in size. Source copies must be single sided, single layer discs.
- Only single track DVDs are supported at this time.
- Only send a duplicate of your master disc, never the sole original master. We are not able to return your source to you after ingestion.
- We recommend that you test your DVD by playing it on several different set-top DVD players before sending it to us. If the copy you send us contains any problems, then every copy sold will contain the same problems.
- Please label all materials as noted above and ship your materials to us via a traceable shipping method such as FedEx or UPS. We are not able to take responsibility for materials until they are delivered to us.
Supported DVD formats:
Video download FAQ
How much will it cost to set up my film or video as a video download to be available through Amazon Instant Video?
We do not charge fees for setting up your film or video as a video download through Amazon Instant Video.
Are customers able to rent and purchase video downloads through Amazon Instant Video?
Yes, customers can purchase or rent high-quality digital videos from Amazon.com and watch them online instantly on a Mac or PC, or download them to any Windows-compatible computer on which they've installed the Amazon Unbox™ Video Player.
Will my video be available for streaming as well as download?
Yes, your video will be available for sale in high-quality streaming and download formats on Amazon Instant Video.
See our site help for more Video download FAQs.